1½ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
½ cup sour cream
1 large egg , room temperature
2 large egg yolks , room temperature
1½ teaspoons almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Add butter, sour cream, egg and egg yolks, and almond extract; beat at medium speed using an electric mixer until smooth, ~30 seconds. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and mix by hand until smooth with no flour pockets.
- Divide batter evenly in cupcake pan with paper liners. Bake until cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick or skewer inserted into center comes out clean, ~20-24 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool while you make the frosting.
Strawberry Cream Frosting
10-12 large strawberries, roughly chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Using a fork, coarsely mash 3/4 of the chopped strawberries in a medium bowl.
- Beat the cream and powdered sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- Fold the mashed strawberries and their juice into the whipped cream.