Oct 13, 2011

Not Your Average Tuna Salad


I don't know about y'all but sometimes I open my fridge and hope that if I stand there long enough either something amazingly tasty will magically appear or I will be struck with inspiration and whip up something even Ina Garten would be proud of. 99.99% of the time I end up getting yelled at by the fridge alarm scolding me for keeping the door open too long with nothing to show for it. But this time, I actually came up with something delicious and healthy that even Jorts (who is allergic to the latter) liked.


  • 1 cup of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
  • 2 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
  • 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and chopped
  • 1 medium potato, chopped
  • 1 can of tuna, drained
  • 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbl lemon juice
  • salt & pepper
  1. Put the chopped green beans and potatoes in 2 separate pans and cover with salted water. Boil the green beans for 2-3 mins until tender, rince in ice cold water then drain. You want them to still be bright green and a little crisp. Boil the potatoes for ~8 mins until fork tender but be sure not to over cook them or they'll just fall apart when you mix the salad together.
  2. While the veggies cook, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
  3. Combine the chopped tomatoes, chopped eggs, cooked green beans, cooked potatoes and drained tuna in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and toss.
This salad is best fresh but still good the next day. Anything leftover after that, just add a little mayo and it makes for a yummy sandwich!

1 comment:

Love me some comments