I don't know about y'all but sometimes I open my fridge and hope that if I stand there long enough either something amazingly tasty will magically appear or I will be struck with inspiration and whip up something even Ina Garten would be proud of. 99.99% of the time I end up getting yelled at by the fridge alarm scolding me for keeping the door open too long with nothing to show for it. But this time, I actually came up with something delicious and healthy that even Jorts (who is allergic to the latter) liked.
- 1 cup of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and chopped
- 1 medium potato, chopped
- 1 can of tuna, drained
- 2 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbl lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Put the chopped green beans and potatoes in 2 separate pans and cover with salted water. Boil the green beans for 2-3 mins until tender, rince in ice cold water then drain. You want them to still be bright green and a little crisp. Boil the potatoes for ~8 mins until fork tender but be sure not to over cook them or they'll just fall apart when you mix the salad together.
- While the veggies cook, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Combine the chopped tomatoes, chopped eggs, cooked green beans, cooked potatoes and drained tuna in a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and toss.
This salad is best fresh but still good the next day. Anything leftover after that, just add a little mayo and it makes for a yummy sandwich!