Dec 31, 2011

And the worst mother of the year award goes to...



Me.

The other day, after spending a thrilling morning at Sprouts and Costco (my life is FILLED with glamour, don't hate), we come home and my Sweet P is loudly expressing her hunger. I had switched up my usual milk-stained nursing tank and yoga pants for a sweater, jeans and an actual bra for our outing so I set my crying P down on the bed while I changed back into uniform. As I was washing my hands I heard H come into the room asking, "Where's my baby sister?" then her cries started to sound muffled. H often tries to cover her with a blanket to keep her warm but overshoots and ends up covering a part of her face so I wasn't TOO concerned about his intentions.
Turns out I should've been.
I quickly dried my hands and turned the corner just in time to see my 3 week old infant
fall
off
the
bed
onto 2 pillows and a blanket that were miraculously stacked perfectly to break her fall. Fortunately we have a low platform bed so that coupled with the landing pad, she fell no more than 5 or so inches but I was hysterical nonetheless. She didn't cry any harder than she had been before the fall and stopped as soon as I picked her up so my hysteria calmed down a smidgen but didn't completely go away until I stripped her down and inspected every inch of her pink body to make sure she was still perfect.

Now in H's defense, I didn't actually SEE him push her off the bed but it's either that or our little girl is a baby prodigy and already rolling over. Since the latter is highly unlikely, all contact between H and Sweet P will be under extremely close supervision. Or I need to stop putting her down anywhere other than her bassinet even if it's just for a second.
Lesson learned.
And to think I thought he was adjusting well.

P.S. If child protective services calls me, I'll have a very small group of suspects to narrow down. 33 as of today to be more precise so don't get any ideas. Nobody likes a tattle tale.

3 comments:

  1. It's only a little funny because tiny sweet P is ok :) No momma is perfect and accidents will happen. Thankfully this incident wasn't worse and there were pillows to break your little ones fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness. PETRIFYING!

    ReplyDelete

Love me some comments