Feb 27, 2012

Chocolate Chip Muffins



I made a few small tweaks to make this recipe a little more post-partum-weight-loss-obsession-friendly. Now I can't attest to whether my version is as tasty since I've never made the muffins following the original recipe but my doctored muffin definitely satisfies all 32 of my sweet teeth for about 65 calories less (and I prefer dark chocolate to milk any day). Hey, I said a little more figure friendly. I'm not a miracle worker. Unless someone invents a no-calorie but still comparably tasty substitute for flour and butter this is probably the best you're going to get.

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tbl plus 2 tsp Splenda brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup Splenda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted then cooled
  • 2 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2/3 cup 2% milk
  • 1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1.5 cups bittersweet chocolate chips


Just follow the original recipe using the above ingredients....or just scroll down if you're too lazy to click over.
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder and salt until there are no more brown sugar clumps and everything is evenly distributed.
  2. In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the butter, eggs, milk and vanilla until well combined.
  3. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients into the well.
  4. Stir until the ingredients just come together but don't overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  5. Evenly divide the batter into 12 lined muffin cups then bake at 400 degrees F for 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
  6. Cool on a wire rack for at least 5 minutes before eating no matter how tempted you are to devour right away or half your muffin will stay stuck to the paper liner.

1 comment:

Love me some comments