Jan 22, 2013

Chicken & Biscuits


This recipe caught my attention because it's the lazy man's chicken pot pie. Then I made it even lazier. Because when there are more Goldfish on the kitchen floor than in the box and the dirty dishes are starting to resemble a Jenga tower in the kitchen sink, corner-cutting is in order. Next time I think I'm going to cut the number of biscuits to 5 in order to achieve the optimal biscuit to chicken ratio.

  Ingredients:
  • 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped to bite-size
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 carrots, chopped
  • 1/2 lb green beans, trimmed and chopped to bite-size
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1.5 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup AP flour
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 can store bought biscuits (I recommend Pillsbury Grands and all their glorious, flaky layers)
  • olive oil
  • salt & pepper
Butter or spray a large casserole dish and preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large skillet, warm up a little extra virgin olive oil over med-hi heat.

Season the chicken with salt & pepper then brown in the pan for ~5 mins, stirring occasionally. Transfer the chicken and its juices to a bowl & set aside. 

Add a little more EVOO to the same pan and heat it over med-hi heat. Add the onions and carrots, season lightly with salt & pepper, and cook for a few minutes until they soften. Add the green beans, garlic, season lightly again, and cook for a couple more minutes. Add the milk. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour into the broth until its completely dissolved then add to the pan. Stir everything together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low and cook for a couple more minutes until everything starts to thicken. Add the chicken and its juices back to the pan along with the thyme. Stir to combine. At this point you can season with salt, pepper to taste if you need but I found that the previous layers of seasoning was enough. Spoon the mixture into the casserole dish and top with the biscuits. 

Bake for ~15 minutes or until the top of the biscuits are golden brown and scream to be eaten. 



3 comments:

  1. Hi! Visiting your blog for the first time today. I couldn't stop drooling while scrolling through all your recipe posts, and I just ate dinner too!! I really have no excuse to say I have nothing to cook now after learning all these new recipes :) Thanks for sharing!!

    Christy
    Sunnywithasideof...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say this is the first time I have been to your blog and I'm drooling but it looks like Christy already covered that. So....I'm salivating?? Like a dog. I think I will make this for dinner tomorrow night. I'm off to check out more of your blog:) Thanks!

    itfreezesbeautifully.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Love me some comments